Thursday, July 8, 2010

nothing more magical

than the 4th of July.
I love this holiday. It just epitomizes everything that is summery laid back goodness. Picnics, bonfires, fireworks...could there be anything better? This year I happened to get the opportunity to spend Independence Day with my boyfriend and my nephews for the first time. I'd have to say, it's my best one to date :)

The family was all dressed up in matching festive t-shirts (not my idea...but I eventually caved). Mom made avocado burgers which we ate in the back yard. I played soccer with my nephew Colin until dad, Aaron, and Noah built the fire. We sat around it chatting and enjoying the perfect weather. Then we climbed to the top of the roof and watched fireworks all around town. It was amazing because we got to see the official fireworks show along with all the illegal shows the locals were putting on :) Dad dragged the radio on top of the roof as well so we could listen to some music while the sky lit up. Of course no 4th would be complete without a little home-made fireworks show. We lit a few off in our driveway (nearly catching the fence on fire), then proceeded into the backyard around the fire once more to light sparklers and eat ice cream sandwiches. Aaron and Colin enjoyed pretending to be rhythmic dancers with their sparklers (unfortunately I did not get pictures of that).













It really couldn't have been better. The only downside is that it had to end.
Now the party is over, and it's back to work with no boyfriend or nephews in sight. I'm trying to keep my chin up.

How was your 4th? I think as long as it's spent with family or friends, it's always magical.

XOXO Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment